Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million (Rs 507 crore) to settle lawsuits brought by families whose loved ones donated their bodies to Harvard Medical School for education and research, only to have parts of those remains stolen and sold. The settlement stems from Cedric Lodge's acts, the former morgue manager of Harvard Medical School, who was sentenced to eight years in prison after he pleaded guilty to stealing and selling human remains on the black market. A Massachusetts court has granted preliminary approval to the settlement. The final approval is expected in December this year. The case has not only raised disturbing questions about Lodge's actions, but also about how donated human remains are protected inside a reputed medical institution. Deeper Glimpse Into The Case Lodge worked at Harvard Medical School's morgue and had access to bodies donated to the school under their Anatomical Gift Program. Federal prosecutors said that between 2018 and March 2020, instead of disposing remains according to the agreement, Lodge removed "heads, brains, skin and bones", and other body parts from donated cadavers after they had been used for teaching and research. He allegedly transported the remains from the Harvard morgue in Boston to his home in New Hampshire, where he and his wife, Denise Lodge, sold them to buyers in different states. Some of the buyers subsequently resold the parts. According to a statement from the US Attorney's Office, "At times, Cedric Lodge allowed [others] to enter the morgue at Harvard Medical School and examine cadavers to choose what to purchase."Also read: Organ Donation: The Gift Of Life When Did The Scandal Become Public? The scandal came to light in 2023, when Lodge and several others were charged in the trafficking scheme. Lodge sentenced to eight years in federal prison in December 2025, while his wife, Denise Lodge, received a sentence of one year and one day for her involvement. Other people who purchased remains from Lodge have also pleaded guilty and been sentenced. Katrina Maclean from Massachusetts, and Joshua Taylor from Pennsylvania, allegedly purchased body parts from Lodge. According to the charging statement, in October 2020, Ms Maclean purchased dissected faces for $600 that she intended to have tanned into leather. Ms Maclean owns a store called Kat's Creepy Creations. The business's social media page showed she specialised in up-cycling dolls into blood-soaked, horror novelties. It is not confirmed if the cadaver parts were used in her products. The indictment alleges she stored and sold human remains at the store. Mr Taylor allegedly bought several stolen body parts from Ms Lodge over the course of four years, worth more than $37,000. The indictment included a particularly grim reference to a PayPal memo for a purchase of $1,000 (£790) that allegedly read, "head number 7". United States Attorney Gerard M. Karam said, "Some crimes defy understanding." He added, "The theft and trafficking of human remains strikes at the very essence of what makes us human." George Q. Daley, Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Harvard University, said he was "appalled to learn that something so disturbing could happen on our campus". He said in a statement, "We are so very sorry for the pain this news will cause for our anatomical donors' families and loved ones, and Harvard Medical School pledges to engage with them during this deeply distressing time." He also confirmed that Cedric Lodge was terminated on May 6.Also read: World Organ Donation Day 2026: Too Old Or Too Sick To Donate Organs? Doctors Bust Key Myths Families Questioned Harvard's Moral Responsibility The criminal case against Lodge is separate from the civil lawsuits against Harvard. The families who donated the remains of their loved ones argued that Harvard had a responsibility to properly safeguard those bodies. Their lawsuits accused the university and medical school of negligence and breach of their duties toward donors and their families. The case is particularly sensitive because body donation depends heavily on trust and respect. People who donate their remains generally do so with the expectation that they will be treated respectfully and used for legitimate medical education or research. In October 2025, Massachusetts' highest court allowed the lawsuits against Harvard to proceed after an earlier dismissal, clearing the way for the settlement. What Does The $53 Million Settlement Include? The financial settlement will compensate families financially involved in the lawsuits. But Harvard has also agreed to certain non-financial compensation. The institution will hold a live webinar with affected families and publicly acknowledge that Lodge's actions were “morally reprehensible” and inconsistent with Harvard's standards for treating anatomical donors and their loved ones. Harvard also plans to create an annual scholarship for medical students, beginning in the 2027-28 academic year, in honour of people who donated their bodies to the school's Anatomical Gift Program. Harvard Medical School Dean George Daley and Dean for Medical Education Bernard Chang said the settlement would allow the university and families to avoid prolonged litigation, while acknowledging the devastating impact of the scandal.