There is no case of Ebola reported in India, said the government today, while stepping up surveillance in the country at key places such as airports and seaports. The government has also "initiated precautionary public health measures", following the declaration of a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) by the World Health Organization (WHO). A senior official in the Ministry of Health clarified that "there is no reported case of Ebola in India and the current risk to the country remains minimal". However, India is closely monitoring the outbreak that has so far 336 suspected cases, including 88 deaths, in DR Congo; and 2 confirmed cases, and 1 death in Uganda. "Senior officials of the Ministry, including officials from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP), ICMR, and other concerned divisions, have reviewed the evolving situation and initiated precautionary public health measures," said the Ministry. Key preparedness measures include: Review of SOPs for screening, surveillance, quarantine , and case management; Strengthening laboratory preparedness, with NIV Pune designated for testing and additional laboratories being onboarded in phases; Enhanced coordination with relevant Ministries and agencies for monitoring international travel from affected regions; Identification and readiness of isolation and quarantine facilities at major airports and ports. The Ministry also urged “the public and media not to panic or spread unverified information”. "India’s public health system remains vigilant and fully prepared to respond to any emerging situation,” it said, adding that “citizens are advised to follow official updates issued by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and WHO”. The official asserted that India continues to maintain close coordination with international health authorities and will take all necessary measures to safeguard public health. The Ebola Outbreak On May 17, the WHO declared the Ebola outbreak in Central Africa a "public health emergency of international concern." According to the Africa CDC, the outbreak is caused by a rare strain of the Bundibugyo virus, for which there is no vaccine available currently. Bundibugyo virus disease is a rare and deadly illness that has caused outbreaks in several African countries in the past. It is different from other known ebolaviruses such as the Zaire ebolavirus and the Sudan ebolavirus. How Does Ebola Bundibugyo Spread? The Bundibugyo virus spreads through contact with the blood or bodily fluids of a person infected with or who has died from the rare Ebola strain. It can also spread through contact with contaminated objects such as clothing, bedding, needles, and medical equipment, or through contact with infected animals such as bats and nonhuman primates. Historically, Bundibugyo virus outbreaks have recorded fatality rates ranging from 25 per cent to 50 per cent. Symptoms To Watch For Symptoms of Bundibugyo virus disease are similar to other forms of Ebola and include: Fever HeadacheMuscle pain Weakness Diarrhea Vomiting Stomach pain Unexplained bleeding or bruising, usually in later stages of illness The WHO has described the current outbreak as “extraordinary” because there are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike the Ebola-Zaire strain. Most of the country’s previous outbreaks were caused by the Zaire strain. Prof Trudie Lang from the University of Oxford also described dealing with Bundibugyo as “one of the most significant concerns” in the current outbreak, the BBC reported. Symptoms are believed to appear between two and 21 days after infection. With no approved drugs specifically targeting the Bundibugyo virus, treatment currently depends on supportive care, including managing pain, treating secondary infections, maintaining fluids, and ensuring adequate nutrition. Early medical care improves survival chances.